Thursday, December 9, 2010

a whisper in the wind

I know I've already failed to keep this up. And with each day that I decide to ignore the One who is supposed to be my everything, I am tempted to let it continue for another day. But mine is a God of mercy who waits for me to return, not with a pointed finger and angry judgment, but with loving and open arms.

And yesterday, after a couple weeks of a dry existence, my former pastor tweets: "Never rest on the laurels or the failures of yesterday. Today is a new day, and God's mercies are new this morning for you."

So I return. Maybe not with a huge emotional feeling of repentance, but almost a reluctant acknowledgment of the emptiness in my life. It is in a quiet moment, in an intentional decision to seek Him, that God speaks to me.

I've heard over and over again from many people that in difficult times in their lives, God spoke through the Psalms of the Old Testament. I never really understood why; even when I was a lonely college freshman in Boston I'd tried reading them, but it never felt like I was comforted or given peace.

But I know it's only because I've only ever looked at the surface. When you dig into His Word, it is a treasure waiting to be discovered, as I have found in Psalm 4.

I don't think I can share in words how He used these words to move me this morning. So I'll just close with this thought of David's that runs parallel with mine. Even as David is in distress, he is able to say:

You have put more joy in my heart than they have when their grain and wine abound. In peace I will both lie down and sleep; for you alone, O LORD, make me dwell in safety.

No comments: